Saturday 25 May 2013

Long time

Been busy!, Just getting back to the work on the 650.

Roger is finishing up the work on the head.

I have to deal with the new engine mounts. I put the engine cases in the frame, set on the cylinder and the head and bolted up the carbs. There is nowhere even close to being enough room to fit the carbs properly inside of the vertical frame tube. Even if I could squeeze them in there, I'd never be able to get them in and out without fighting or removing the head, can't have this.

I have read others have had issues with this as well.
Limey Bikes' Hornet has this issue. Here is a quote from his website. "The toughest thing was cramming those RS36 carbs in the frame… in fact it was so tight that the frame had to be shaved a little and there are no intake gaskets… it was that tight. I hope they were worth all the effort!"


Limey Bikes RS36 carbs and fit issues.

Option one, cut the vertical tube and relocate it.
Option two, lean the engine forward, rotating around the lower engine mount.

Option two it is. We will need to make a new rear engine mount, new top engine mount and new forward engine mount....
The rear mount requires cutting and welding, the other two will require making up new engine mounting plates as these bolt to the engine and bolt to the frame. I guess it's an opportunity to strengthen these areas anyways.

I'll post more pictures on the intended changes later today.

No comments:

Post a Comment